Topics of discussion
– Answer #OCAPodcast questions
– Correction regarding Keean Johnson finding inspiration for Hugo in Snake Plissken
∟Actual Panel Statement
– KyoAni Studio 1 Arson Sources
∟Sora News 24
∟“We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight,” vows KyoAni
∟KyoAni confirms it received novel from writer with same name, address as arson suspect
∟KyoAni official donation account raises over 1 billion yen (US$10.1 million) in one week
∟X Japan leader Yoshiki donates 10 million yen to Kyoto Animation arson recovery fund
∟Anime News Network
∟Chief Cabinet Secretary States Japan’s Gov’t is Considering Support Measures for KyoAni
∟Kyoto Animation Issues Statement About July 18 Fire
∟Kyoto Animation Recovers Data From Server After Studio 1 Fire
∟Kyoto Police Release Names of 10 Victims Who Died in Kyoto Animation Fire
∟Yoshiki Donates 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation
∟Kyoto Animation Has Rescued Data From Servers
∟KyoAni: “We Will not Vanish Without a Fight!”
∟Japanese University Professor: “KyoAni Are Like Drug Dealers!”
∟KyoAni Data “Fully Recoverable”, Government Considering Tax Breaks for Donations
∟J-Rock Icon YOSHIKI Donates 10 Million Yen to Kyoto Animation
∟Kyoto Police Have Released Names of 10 Victims in Kyoto Animation Attack
"An unprecedented atrocity has robbed many of our friends and colleagues of their bright futures and has left many deeply injured. News from all over the world tells us that amazingly many number of people has sent us their hearts and prayers, which are like candles in the darkness, for those of us trapped in the darkness of deepest grief.
There are many friends and colleagues who are hospitalized and suffering, fighting for their lives. Please give us some time.
We promise that Kyoto Animation will continue to create animation that help people have dreams, hope and impress them. Kyoto animation will continue to make its employees and staff lead happy lives, and contribute to society and local community. I assure you that Kyoto Animation will not give up, we will not go quietly into the night…we will not vanish without a fight!"
– Kyoto Animation Co. CEO Hideaki Hatta
KyoAni’s attorney said they have confirmed that the company DID receive a novel for their light novel contest from a person with the same name as the arsonist, and from an address that matches that of the suspect’s apartment.
He went on to say that the novel was formally eliminated from the contest in the first round of the judges’ evaluations. “We have confirmed that it has no similarity to any Kyoto Animation works,” he added.
Since setting up their dedicated bank account for donations, KyoAni has received over $10.8 Million USD from over 50,000 donors with 10 Million Yen ($92,600 USD) coming directly from X Japan frontman, Yoshiki. But KyoAni's attorney has estimated that between financial support for surviving family members, medical support for injured survivors, and company-related business operation recovery expenses, the total cost could be as high as $94 Million USD.
There are a number of regulatory issues to deal with in handling such large sums of money, and the attorney says that KyoAni may establish a special foundation to oversee the administration of the funds, in order to navigate Japan’s laws regarding compensation to victims of crimes and work-related deaths and injuries.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga has also called upon relevant government organizations, such as the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, to provide Kyoto Animation with the support it needs in this difficult time. He stated that a nonpartisan, all-party diet group has proposed support measures for the victims and the company. The proposal includes suggestions of tax breaks for donations, and providing support for animator training.
Junichi Uda, in-between animator for Chunibyo, K-ON!, Free!, A Silent Voice, Tamako Market, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Nichijou, HYOUKA, Liz and the Blue Bird, and Sound! Euphonium.
Yoshiji Kigami, director for Munto, Shin Dosei Jidai: Hawaiian Breeze, Last War of Heavenloids and Akutoloids, Sora o Miageru Shōjo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai, and Baja no Studio. Episode director for Violet Evergarden, Tamako Market, Sound! Euphonium, K-ON!, Dragon Maid, Myriad Colors, Nichijou, Beyond the Boundary, Clannad, Lucky Star, Chunibyo, and Free!. Outside of KyoAni he was a key animator on Grave of the Fireflies and Akira, and worked on many Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan films.
Ami Kuriki, key animator for Violet Evergarden, Liz and the Blue Bird, Free!, Sound! Euphonium, A Silent Voice, Dragon Maid, Chunibyo, and Myriad Colors.
Sachie Tsuda worked in painting, finishing, clean-up animation, and special effects for Lucky Star, Clannad, Haruhi, K-ON!, HYOUKA, Nichijou, Tamako Market, A Silent Voice, To Heart, Violet Evergarden, Free!, and Liz and the Blue Bird. She also worked on several Crayon Shin-chan and Doraemon films, as well as Kiddy Grade, Inuyasha, Pokemon 3 - The Movie, and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.
Futoshi Nishiya, character designer for Free!, HYOUKA, Nichijou, A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird, and Haruhi. Animation director for Clannad, K-ON!, Sound! Euphonium, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Chunibyo, and Beyond the Boundary. He also worked as a key animator.
Keisuke Yokota, production manager for Clannad, K-ON!, HYOUKA, Chunibyo, Sound! Euphonium, A Silent Voice, Tamako Market, Violet Evergarden, Free!, Sound! Euphonium, and Beyond the Boundary.
Mikiko Watanabe, art director for Violet Evergarden, Beyond the Boundary, Dragon Maid, Myriad Colors, and Amagi Brilliant Park. She also provided background art for Nichijou, K-ON!, Free!, Liz and the Blue Bird, and Chunibyo.
Yuki Omura. Omura was only 23 years old. In 2016, Omura was awarded with an Honorable Mention Award at the 101st Nikaten Design Category. At the time, he was a second-year student at Tohoka University. Tohoka University posted a statement on Friday confirming that a graduate of the school's modeling program died in the fire. Omura graduated from the university in March.
Yuka Kasama. Kasama was only 22 years old. Kasama loved to draw as a child, and from high school wanted to study art at university. Kasama's dream was to enter the animation industry. Kasama was a graduate of Osaka Seikei University.
Yasuhiro Takemoto, director of Lucky Star, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Full Metal Panic (Fumoffu & Second Raid), Clannad, Haruhi Suzumiya (series & Disappearance), and Nichijou has been confirmed dead.
Naomi Ishida, color designer for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, A Silent Voice, and Liz and the Blue Bird has also been confirmed dead. Tragically, her parents believed she normally worked at Kyoto Animation's 2nd Studio building and presumed she was alive until they couldn't get a hold of her.
KyoAni Studio 1's server was isolated in a separate room completely surrounded by concrete on the building's first floor. Therefore, the server was protected from both the fire and the water used in firefighting efforts and miraculously ALL the data on the server has been recovered without damage!
“I’ve held concerts around the globe, and in every country I perform in, many animation fans come to my shows and support my music. I am truly grateful to them. I also want to do what I can to support the artform of Japanese animation, which is a treasure in our world and a form of cultural development.
My heart aches as I think of the pain of those who lost family members. I hope my actions can be of some small comfort to the people who have been affected by this tragedy, and I hope that others will continue to do so too.”
– OCA Podcast Patreon
– Anime Collector Patreon
– Vic Mignogna Court Case
∟Mary Reese Affidavit Claim 13
∟Mary Reese Affidavit Claim 14
∟The Mignogna Deposition
∟Former Tekkoshocon Staff Allege Mignogna Harassed Macross Voice Actress Mari Iijima
∟Anime gets its #MeToo moment in clash between Dallas-area voice actors
– Cool Japan Fund Invests US$30 Million in Sentai Holdings
Kickstarter/Crowd Funding news:
– Digimon Crowdfunding Project to Animate Daily Lives of DigiDestined
Live-Action Anime news:
– Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi Join Forces for Shin Ultraman Film
– Sunrise Launches New ‘Gundam Channel’ for Streaming on YouTube
– Crunchyroll Adds Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan and More Kimagure Orange Road
– Enter the Anime Documentary Trailer Dives into the Minds of Creators
Theater Release news:
– Japan Box Office: Weathering With You Repeats at #1, Surpassing 4 Billion Yen in 11 Days
– Six Kyoto Animation Anime Films to be Re-Released over Three Weeks in Tokyo
– Tencent Producing 47 Animated Projects
∟Chinese Studio Tencent Has Announced 47 New Animated Projects
– Digimon Adventure 02 Kids Are All Grown up in New Movie Art
– All-New Gintama Anime Feature Film is Now in The Works
– ZOMBIE LAND SAGA Anime Gets Revenge in Season 2
– Fairy Tail Anime’s Voice Cast Wraps Recording on Final Episode
– Funimation’s Hensuki Subs Translate “Lolicon” to “Pedophile”
– Record of Lodoss War Side-Scrolling Game Launches on Steam in Spring 2020
∟Record of Lodoss War 2D Side-Scroller Hits Early Access This Fall
– Persona 5: The Royal Development “Complete”
– Disgaea RPG Update Announces Start of Service in November
– Bokuhime Project Saving the Onee-san by Crossdressing
– NCOSE Demanding Steam Censorship Yet Again
– Aniplex of America Announces Blu-ray Release of Fate/EXTRA Last Encore
– Discotek Licenses Symphogear, Dokuro, Medabots, Cleopatra, Battery, Great Passage, More
– Discotek to Release Space Adventure Cobra Film on UHD 4K Blu-ray Disc
– Yu Yu Hakusho SteelBooks Coming to the Funimation Shop
– Right Stuf
Random Merch news:
– Beelzemon Dresses for the Slide as New Digimon Figure
– ZOMBIE LAND SAGA Board Game Lets You Join Forces to Save Saga
– The one-person kabe-don machine: A terrifying way to experience anime’s steamiest move
– McDonald’s Japan Beverage Campaign Leads to Oral Antics
– Iwate Prefecture Rolls Out More Rock/Ground Pokémon as Manhole Covers
– Justin Sevakis is stepping down as Answer Man
– Monster, Jojo’s, More Creators Will Draw Tokyo Olympic, Paralympics 2020 Posters
– Tokyo public schools will stop forcing students with non-black hair to dye it
– Why Does Japan Celebrate “Panties Day”?
– Temp Teacher Busted for Exposing Lower Half to Grade Students
Leave a Reply