Topics of discussion
– Answer #OCAPodcast questions
– KyoAni Studio 1 Arson Sources
∟Help KyoAni Heal
∟33 dead after arson attack at Kyoto Animation studio, dozens injured
∟Death toll in Kyoto studio arson rises to 34
∟Suspected arsonist in deadly Kyoto anime studio fire says firm stole his novel
∟Kyoto Animation boss says company got threats
∟Sora News 24
∟Anime studio attacked by arsonist, explosion leaves dozens injured, 12 dead
∟Death toll in anime studio arson attack climbs to 33, movie production cancelled
∟Kyoto Animation security system was shut down on day of arson attack that killed 33
∟Anime News Network
∟Fire Breaks Out in Kyoto Animation’s 1st Studio Building
∟Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire
∟34th Victim of Kyoto Animation Fire Passes Away
∟Kyoto Animation Studio Blaze Claims 25 Lives
∟KyoAni Arsonist: “They Plagiarized Me!”
∟Lucky Star, Maid Dragon Director “Missing” After Arson Attack
∟KyoAni CEO: “We’ve Lost Everything, Both Paper & Digital”
∟“Help KyoAni Heal” Raises $1 Million in 18 Hours
∟BREAKING: Arson Attack at Kyoto Animation Causes Multiple Fatalities, Dozens Injured
∟ultimatemegax Twitter Thread
∟Yamakan hates Shinkai apparently
∟CNN with the worst take
An arson attacked the Kyoto Animation No. 1 studio on the morning of July 18.
34 people died in the fire, either from their burns or from carbon monoxide poisoning.
7 people survived the incident with no need for immediate medical treatment.
Japan has the death penalty for multiple murders, and this is the worst attack in Japan in decades.
In Japan, police do not confirm a death at the scene; instead, the victim must be transported to a hospital and a qualified doctor must first confirm the death before police can officially confirm the death.
The arson was a 41-year-old with mental illness and a criminal record. He was treated among the victims and was admitted to a hospital.
Witnesses say that when asked by police at the scene why he had set the fire, the man said “They plagiarized.” Pakuri is the Japanese word for copying another’s art or creative work, though the indistinct nature of the Japanese language makes it unclear whether the man was accusing Kyoto Animation of copying his work specifically, or that of another creator/creators.
So far it appears that the arson had never worked at Kyoto Animation, and no clear point of connection between him and the animation studio has been found.
As of March, Kyoto Animation had 165 employees with an average age of 33, according to its website.
KyoAni had been receiving death threats going back years.
Kyoto Animation has decided to cancel the production of its planned Free! 2020 Summer anime theatrical feature.
Studio 1 has a lot of the director staff and animation directors at the facility. They also have compositing/3D animation there.
Naoko Yamada has been confirmed alive.
Ishidate Taichi has been confirmed alive.
Yasuhiro Takemoto has been reported missing, some outlets have reported that he was confirmed dead but some other outlets have claimed that was a mistranslation.
– OCA Podcast Patreon
– Anime Collector Patreon
– Vic Mignogna Court Case
∟Funimation has filed a TCPA motion
∟Monica Rial & Ron Toye have filed a TCPA motion
∟Jamie Marchi has filed a TCPA motion
∟Information removed from last podcast’s Dao of Dragonball article
∟Stan Dahlin Affidavit
Kickstarter/Crowd Funding news:
Live-Action Anime news:
– Detective Pikachu Highest-Grossing Video Game Movie of All Time
– Netflix Produces Live-Action Alice in Borderland Series
– Space Invaders Becoming a Live Action Movie
– The Witcher Live Action TV Series Trailer Well-Received
– Live-Action Akira Film Delayed Indefinitely
– Russo Brothers’ AGBO Studios Develops Adaptation of Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets
Theater Release news:
– Listing the Mainstream News Outlets That are Cowards for Not Saying Naruto’s Name
– Black Lagoon Gets Spinoff Manga About Sawyer
– Pokémon GO Game Launches One Piece, Kumamoto Collaboration
– PlayStation Classic Now Being Flogged for $20
– Ciconia When They Cry and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saku Delayed
– Catherine: Full Body Not Censored After All? “Will Be the Same Game from Japan”
Random Merch news:
– Good Smile Company Previews 1/48 Scale Swordfish II from Cowboy Bebop Anime
– American band Vasudeva uses real Japanese convenience store receipt for shirt design
– Flight simulation cockpits installed into Haneda Airport hotel lets you fly your rooms away